Association of British Hujjaj (Pilgrims) UK
The Association of British Hujjaj (Pilgrims) UK (ABH) is a national organisation. The Executive Committee of ABH consists of senior doctors and professionals from all walks of life, was formed in 1998. ABH is working for the welfare and wellbeing of British Hajj/Umrah Pilgrims.
Every year about 25,000 British Muslims perform Hajj and over 100,000 perform Umrah throughout the year. There is accumulated evidence that British Hujjaj experience significant difficulties and problems due to ignorance, lack of awareness of pre-travel Health & Safety precautions and understanding of the needs for the good preparation of the journey.
The tragic incidents that took place during Hajj pilgrimage where a substantial number of pilgrims lost their lives including British Hajj pilgrims due to stampede and tragic deaths due to Meningitis outbreak amongst British Hajj returnees and recently 3 people have died due to Coronavirus which caused a great amount of grief and distress to the community in the UK.
- The Association of British Hujjaj (Pilgrims) ABH UK played an important role to setup a vital link between the relevant Government Departments and British Muslim Community and has been working closely with the various government departments to coordinate their efforts for the welfare of British Hajj/Umrah pilgrims.
- The Association of British Hujjaj (Pilgrims) ABH UK has been making tireless efforts in containing the spread of infectious diseases through raising awareness to prospective pilgrims. ABH has been organising high profile press and electronic media conferences, educational training programmes, producing and distributing relevant information regarding health and safety issues amongst prospective pilgrims.
- Association of British Hujjaj (Pilgrims) is providing counselling and advisory service on Health & Safety matters to the prospective Hajj/Umrah pilgrims throughout the year.
- The activities of Association of British Hujjaj (Pilgrims) UK are getting coverage in press and media throughout the world which is helping to highlight the issues concerning the welfare and well being of Hajj/Umrah pilgrims.
- Association of British Hujjaj (Pilgrims) UK has also been carrying out an extensive campaign to address the extremely serious issue of the worsening situation of exploitation of British Hajj & Umrah travellers who have been experiencing extreme hardship and mental anguish at the hands of unscrupulous tour operators and travel agents who are exploiting pilgrims both financially and mentally.
- Some of the tour operators exploited the affected Hajj travellers by charging extortionate prices for Hajj/Umrah packages. It is an insult to injury that a large number of tour operators do not provide the quality services i.e. accommodation, transport and other amenities during the Hajj period as promised by them in the UK.
This is an issue which is affecting over 2 million British Muslims. Therefore, the Association of British Hujjaj (pilgrims) ABH is vigorously campaigning to help and protect vulnerable Hajj/Umrah pilgrims by urging the law enforcement authorities for a strict implementation of the legislation to eliminate the rogue elements in the Hajj tour & travel industry.
ABH is committed to serve the community to protect them from pain, misery and to prevent the loss of innocent human lives. ABH has created significant awareness of communicable diseases such as Meningitis, Coronavirus amongst the Hajj/Umrah pilgrims and ABH is providing effective counselling and advisory services on Health Promotion and Safety matters to the prospective pilgrims over the last 14 years.
- Our official website is in place, which provides appropriate helpful information, guidance and advice to the public. It is continuously updated on an on-going basis.
- It is heartening to note that our tireless voluntary humanitarian services and efforts are being appreciated and confirmed as extremely beneficial to the society by the Prime Minister of the UK, various government ministers, Member of Parliaments, Member of the House of Lords, Muslim community dignitaries and various other organisations.
The Association of British Hujjaj (Pilgrims) ABH UK, through its specific knowledge, expertise and experience for over more than a decade of working with the community at the grass root level have saved a number of innocent human lives and we intend to vigorously pursue our efforts to achieve even better in the future.
ABH is making every effort to educate prospective pilgrims about Health and Safety issues throughout the year, however its most important initiative has been the launch of National Hajj/Umrah (Health and Safety) Awareness Week at The House of Lords prior to the occasion of Hajj. Since then, this prestigious event is being attended by diplomats from number of Muslim countries including Saudi Arabia, community leaders, TV, media journalists and Minister of Health every year.
The Executive Committee of ABH is comprised of devoted, dedicated and hardworking professionals who are very much committed to this noble cause to provide services to humanity on voluntary basis. The Association will continue to make very effort to fulfil its desired objectives to serve the guests of Allah (SWT) in coming years.
May Almighty Allah (SWT) give us the strength and guide us in our efforts to assist the guests of Allah (SWT).