Warning about deadly Coronavirus
After the tragic death of Umrah returnee and his son who also contracted this deadly Coronavirus from his father in Birmingham, ABH has raised its grave concern to the Secretary of State for Health and other relevant health/local authorities urging them to take appropriate actions to help and protect specifically vulnerable Hajj/Umrah pilgrims in March 2013. Now, the World Health Organization (WHO) has also issued a warning to all member countries about the outbreak of this deadly, infectious Coronavirus. This SARS-like virus, which causes pneumonia and possible kidney failure and can be transferred from person to person. This outbreak has recently claimed the lives of dozens of people specifically in Saudi Arabia.
Association of British Hujjaj (Pilgrims) UK strongly urges all prospective pilgrims (specifically people with weak body immune systems) to take preventive measures to safeguard their health and well being during their journey to perform Hajj/Umrah. The following measures can be taken to minimize the risk of Coronavirus.
1. Wash your hands well and continuously with water and soap or with other disinfectants used for hand washing, especially after coughing or sneezing.
2. Use tissues when coughing or sneezing and cover your mouth and nose. And if there are no tissues, it's preferred to cough or sneeze on top of the arm and not the hands.
3. Try as much as possible to avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth by hand, because it can transmit the virus after touching surfaces contaminated with the virus.
4. Wear gags in gathering and overcrowding places during Haj or Umrah.
5. Keep other hygienic and healthy habits such as food balance, physical activity, and taking enough sleep, and
6. Avoid as much as possible contact with infected people, and see a doctor when necessary.