Chairman: Lord Harris
National Trading Standards Board
c/o ACTSO Ltd
Southfields Business Park
SS 15 6TH
Email contact via firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Khalid Parvez
Association of British Hajjaj (Pilgrims) UK
249 Ladypool Road
Birmingham, B12 8LF
27 May 2015
Dear Mr Parvez
Thank you for your letter dated 1211 May 2015 and the suggestions made therein. As you are aware National Trading Standards funded Birmingham Trading Standards to deliver a national project which targeted illegal activity relating to Hajj.
The outcomes of the project included the following:-
- Successfully supported/enabled/upskilled staff from 19 local authority trading standards and 2 police forces in inspection and investigation of Hajj and Umrah non-compliance.
- 182 number of business premises were inspected nationally.
- 147 (81%) of Hajj and Umrah package tour operators were found to be non-compliant.
- Of the non-compliant businesses 129 (88%) were issued with trader notices or letters of warning.
- Formal enforcement action has been undertaken in 17 cases (12%), i.e. 13 prosecutions are pending support from BTS has included attending PACE interviews. A further 4 businesses were issued with formal cautions.
The assessment of the project is now taking place and NTS officers are in the process of discussing with Birmingham Trading Standards if any further support and activity can take place this year.
The suggestions you have made are eminently sensible and will be discussed with our colleagues in Birmingham. National Tasking Group, who will be making the decision on any future funding, welcomes and encourages the delivery of our objectives through joined up working with organisations so your offer to help in anyway is very much appreciated.
Lord Toby Harris
Chairman, National Trading Standards Board
ACTSO Ltd. A subsidiary company of the Trading Standards Institute. Registered in England and Wales. Register Number 8091348.
Registered office: 1 Sylvan Court, Sylvan Way, Southfields Business Park, Basildon, Essex SS15 6TH VAT Reg. No GB 795 8626 60